International Strategic Partnerships
The « Initiative d’excellence » (IDEX in short) Université Grenoble Alpes launches a call for projects to foster its
international strategic partnerships. More specifically, this call targets the following objectives:
1. Development of strategic projects with universities identified as strategic partners, see list below,
and with a lower priority, with target priority countries/universities, see list below..
2. Development of the collaboration with the local international research facilities, see list below.
3. Support of the internationalization of humanities and social sciences.
4. Preparation of proposals in response to European calls.
Outstanding proposals with at least one international partner are solicited. Only high quality projects in which
advances in research and education that would not occur without international collaborations will be funded.
Projects should have duration of 4 years (to cover the whole period of a PhD thesis in France). Funding consist
of doctoral fellowships. Half of the funding will be provided by the IDEX under the condition of co-funding by the
international partners. The preference is for about half the duration of the scholarship to be spent in Grenoble
and the other half at the foreign institution.
Key categories of partners
• Strategic partners: University of Swansea (UK), KIT (Germany), UB and UPC (Barcelona, Spain), University of
Tsukuba (Japan), Universités de Genève et Lausanne, EPFL (Switzerland)
• Other target Countries/Universities: USA, Canada, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore (NTU, NUS), Brazil (UFRG,
UNESP, USP), Mexico (UANL, Guadalajara, UNAM), Morocco (Mohamed 5, UIRabat), Senegal (UCAD & U Gaston
• International research facilities: European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF), Institut Laue-Langevin (ILL),
European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), IRAM (Institut de Radioastronomie Millimétrique), Grenoble High
Magnetic Field Laboratory (GHMFL), Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire (CERN).
The criteria applied by the selection committee to evaluate the proposals are:
• Ambition and scientific quality of the project
• Effectiveness of the collaboration scheme
• Long-term strengthening of the collaborative network of Grenoble research laboratories
• Relevance of the consortium composition to the IDEX strategy
The following document must be provided:
• Personal information of the project investigator;
• Information about the partner institution and research group;
• Project description;
• Call for Proposal: November 8th 2017
• Submission deadline: January 18th, 13h00
Meeting of the Selection Committee: March 2018
• Notification: April 2018
Starting of the Ph.D. projects: October 2018 at the latest